WELCOME!

Bienvenidos a la Mision Chile Santiago Norte! We love the Savior, and are blessed to be part of this great work, to share His gospel, and invite others to come unto Him. We are grateful to have this incredible opportunity to associate with such fine young men and women and other couples who are serving in this wonderful part of the vineyard. We decided to share this mission through a blog, with any who would like to know more.... All of the lessons, talks, training, conferences, and meetings are obviously done totally in Spanish, but for the sake of this writer, the notes are here in English, for speed in typing, and therefore, mixed with a bit of both worlds. We hope all of our missionaries, families, and loved ones can enjoy this blog, in spite of the writing, grammar, language, errors, etc. This will be a miraculous journey, and we invite you to share and enjoy it with us.

Lovingly, con cariño,
Presidente Michael May
Hermana Carol May

Monday, February 21, 2011

Past successes help increase our Faith

I had the opportunity to work in Rencali zone with two different companionships this past week. I had the opportunity to knock doors. As we were knocking doors, I had the thought come to mind of past bishops and relief society presidents were found by knocking doors. As I kept my mind focused on these thoughts, it built my faith to continue knocking doors with greater urgency and hope of finding more of them.

Nephi was a great example of reflecting on past successes to increase his faith to overcome current trials.

It is one of the many evidences of why he was highly favored of the Lord. Lehi had just died and Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael were angry once again at Nephi. I am sure Nephi was thinking, “Here we go again, are they ever going to learn?” He must have been feeling somewhat disappointed with the whole situation. In 2 Nephi 4:17 we read:

“Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.

Nephi was always quick to recognize, especially in times of difficulty and trial, the great things the Lord had done for him. In verses 20-26 we see how Nephi recognizes what God has done for him:

My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.
He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh.
He hath confounded mine enemies, unto the causing of them to quake before me.
Behold, he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge by visions in the night-time.
And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me.

And upon the wings of his Spirit hath my body been carried away upon exceedingly high mountains. And mine eyes have beheld great things, yea, even too great for man; therefore I was bidden that I should not write them.

Nephi draws strength to face adversity and trials that he is currently facing by bringing to memory the times in the past in which he has seen the hand of the Lord in his life in blessing and strengthening him. Nephi uses this as a source of strength ot overcome his current challenges and trials. Verse 26 illustrates this well:

O then, if I have seen so great things, if the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men hath visited men in so much mercy, why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow, and my flesh waste away, and my strength slacken, because of mine afflictions?

I invite all of you to be like Nephi and remember the blessings and the success the Lord has blessed you with in the past as a missionary to help you overcome challenges and trials you are currently facing.

We are grateful for all that you do in bringing souls unto Christ and we love you very much,
President May

No comments:

Post a Comment